Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Commuting to DC from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio for a toothbrush: it's worth the $5!

Now that I’ve cycled through the five stages of loss and am past both the rage, denial, and bargaining stages, I can share my most recent experience trying to sell something online through Facebook.

So, the washer broke. We got a refund from the warranty company but it wasn’t enough to cover the cost of a new set. I was determined to minimize this expense by selling everything we didn’t need for $5 and topping off our cash stockpile by selling the dryer in a grand finale.

I managed to accumulate $7 (Woo!) until today, when the promise of another $5 dangled in front of me. I got several interested messages but all from folks in England.

That’s odd, I thought. I posted only in local yard sale groups. Why are people from Bristol and Cardiff messaging about a $5 toothbrush?

Ambitious schedule for a $5 toothbrush...


It turns out that Facebook now cares where you say you live, and you cannot override this with a measly old zip code like you used to. Silly me!

Anyway, jokes on me for saying I lived here:

Llanfairpwllgwnyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio, UK

But how could I NOT? That is the best name on the planet. But if the choice is $5 or obscuring my real town, pretty obvious what wins...