Monday, July 9, 2018

GO AWAY (solicitors not welcome!)

People just came to the door, complete strangers. I cracked open the door suspiciously and saw two young girls standing several steps away. I instantly regretted not having the proper welcome mat.



Strangers: "Hi! Oh don't you look comfortable!"

I looked down self-consciously at my telework outfit.

(Just kidding but I will fucking buy this
and keep it by the front door for next time!)

Strangers: "Well anyway we are walking around the neighborhood today. Isn't it nice out?"

Me (interrupting): "So how can I help you?"

Strangers: "Oh! Well we are here to talk to you about your energy bill."

FUCK, I thought. They're about to get into it. They had that look.



Me: "Just so you know, I don't buy anything, sign anything or give out any information."

Strangers: "Oh! Of course. We aren't selling anything. Anyhoo, you know how there's a label on your electric bill? Be a doll and why don't you login to your account and we'll show you. It restricts access to clean energy but we can help."

Me: "I don't have a login."

Strangers: "OHMYGOD what?? You still use a <gasp> PAPER bill?"

Me: "Yeah. Anyway so thanks..."

Strangers: "Oh that's okay, if you want to go find the paper bill, we'll wait!"

Me: "I don't have one right now. Anyway, thank you but..."

Strangers: "Oh that's okay, you can go look for one!"

Me: "Um, no thanks, I don't have one, and anyway..."

Strangers: "Well, we can come back in a few weeks!"

Me: "No, that's okay, I don't give out info, buy anything, sign anything or receive house calls."

They looked crestfallen.



I softened slightly.

Me: "Well, if you want to leave brochures or business cards or whatever, I'll look at them later."

Strangers: "Oh funny you should mention that, we don't have anything, we just ran out. Anyway, think about it. Clean energy!"

Me: 


They finally left and I told hubby. "The whole time, they were standing right next to the trash can probably wondering what the heck is wrong with these people because it smelled so bad!"

He said, "ha, oh you should have said, "Sorry about the smell, that's just the last people who came here trying to sell something. Boy they put up a hell of a fight. Anyway, what can I do for you?"



In the meantime, we are now looking for special police DO NOT CROSS tape for the front door!